AZ Made Awards: Make Your Nominations Today!
Are YOU a food hero in Arizona? Are you an entrepreneur or purchaser? A farmer or an artisan? A producer or distributor? Or know someone who is? If so, we want to celebrate them!
AZ Made Awards are brand new: founded in order to recognize excellence in food, drink and crafted products made in Arizona. The awards are here to celebrate innovation and entrepreneurship, while inspiring Arizonans to support the local movement and connect with people and projects in the community.
Hosted by us at Good Food Finder and presented by Bite Magazine, the awards are in their inaugural year. In anticipation of the 7th Annual Arizona Farmer + Chef Connection, we are looking for individuals and businesses in the farming and food community who are outstanding in various areas of the sustainable food system.
We are excited to recognize winners in five Award Categories. Read about them below, and help us celebrate the outstanding talent Arizona has to offer by nominating yourself or someone truly AZ Made today!
• GOOD FOOD, GOOD PERSON AWARD Good for the farmer or artisan growing, raising or making tasty, nourishing, healthy for the mind–and perhaps the body–food. You see food as a way to communicate and create community. You display characteristics of graciousness and grit, humility, leadership, and the ability to mentor.
• LEVERAGING YOUR LOCALNESS AWARD You’re a farmer, food producer, or food buyer/distributor demonstrating knowledge of and connections to other businesses within Arizona and have the books to prove it. It is evident that you and your business is putting their money where your mouth is and has become exemplary in setting the standard for local procurement and local involvement.
• ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY AWARD You’re a farmer or food producer holding yourself to the highest of excellence in care for our world and therefore a more sustainable food system for all. Whether its animal and land stewardship, water conservation practices, solar energy use, polycultural farming practices, native and heritage food use, seed-saving practices or all or some of it, you’re doing your part and it shows.
• YOUNG FOOD LEADER AWARD You’re a beginning farmer or food producer, and a pioneer in your field. You’re paving the way for others, demonstrating innovation and tradition at the same time. As a young entrepreneur, you’re constantly thinking creatively, asking why and why not. You hold high regard for a sustainable and just food system, and leverage others to make an effort toward one.
• FEEDING THE COMMUNITY AWARD You’re a farmer, food producer, or food buyer/distributor exhibiting a tremendous ability to reach large, often under-served or under-represented, groups of people with high-quality, fresh, and often locally-sourced food in order to reach broader audiences and support a localized, sustainable food system that benefits everyone.
HOW IT WORKS
Read through the categories above to nominate an Arizona maker for an AZ Made Award. Nominees should demonstrate excellence in quality of product, environmental practices, and contributions to their industry and to the local community. You may nominate yourself or someone else; in the case you are nominating someone else, we will contact the person nominated to let them know upon receiving the nomination, but we recommend you let them know, as well! The deadline for nominations is Saturday, August 20th at 11:59pm.
Once all nominations are in, winners will be voted upon by a panel of industry experts organized by Bite Magazine.
HOW WE CELEBRATE
Winners will be officially announced at the Local Food Reception event at the 7th Annual Arizona Farmer + Chef Connection on September 12th in Tucson, Arizona. Tickets are on sale now (Early Bird pricing ends 7/31).
The winners of each category will receive a feature spread on the website of Bite Magazine with corresponding promotions on Good Food Finder’s e-newsletters Good Food News and The Locavore, and a commemorative plaque to display your excellence and Arizona pride!!